Beginner Running Plans
Learn to Run
Have you ever wanted to learn to run? Maybe you took a learn to run program a few years ago, and want to give it a try again. Here is a basic learn to run program that has been used by many of our past 5K participants who took the Cornwall Multisport Club's learn to run program.
How the Plan Works
The plan is a 10 week program. Each week will consist of three, 20 minute workouts on separate days (It's best to spread your workouts throughout the week, for example, run Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays). Each workout is 20 minutes and includes a mix of running and walking; the ratio of running to walking increases each week (In week 1, each workout includes 7 total minutes of running, but in week 6 the workout has 17 minutes of total running). The program is designed to gradually increase your stamina so that you can continuously run 10 minutes followed by a 1 minute walking break.
Nomenclature: Each week's plan is a set that is run multiple times, for example, [ Run 3 minutes, walk 1minute ] x 5 means that you run 3 minutes (at a conversational pace) followed by walking for 1 minute and then repeat until you have finished 5 sets. So it will be 3-1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3-1 (where the threes are time spent running). Some weeks there is a short extra run at the end to get the full 20 minutes in.
Keys to Success
- Don't sprint! Running should be at a conversational pace. If you can't say more than a few words at a time, then slow down a bit.
- Don't do: Too much, too soon, too fast. Don't fast track the plan, let your body get used to running, so that you can avoid getting injured.
- Make sure you take the walk breaks! They are there for a reason.
- Take a few minutes of brisk walking before to get warmed up a little.
- Stick to the plan! Be consistent, fit the plan into your weekly routine.
- Don't give up! You can do this.
- If you are in Cornwall, you can also run around the indoor track at the Civic Complex.
A group shot from a Learn to Run group who just completed their very first 5K at the Run to endMS.